Nov. 09 (Thu)/ 7 p.m.
at Kent State
EAST LANSING, Mich.–
Stifling protection and 45 incorporated factors from
and Terrence Edwards Jr. pushed the James Madison males’s basketball group to a spectacular 79-76 overtime win at No. 4 Michigan State on Monday evening at the Breslin.
The win significant JMU’s highest-ranked success ever before and simply the 2nd top-25 win for the Dukes, joining their 1992 victory versus Cal. JMU additionally came to be the first string to hand an AP preseason top-five group a loss in a home period opener considering that 2001.
Edwards Jr. led 3 Dukes in increases numbers with a team-high 24 factors. Bickerstaff had a double-doubles with 21 factors and a game-best 14 rebounds in his launching for JMU, while Michael Green III included 13 factors, 11 of which followed halftime.
Routing 68-64 with simply under 90 secs left, 2 totally free tosses from
and a Bickerstaff layup required overtime with ball game bound at 68. After an MSU totally free toss linked ball game at 73, a layup from Edwards Jr. provided the Dukes a two-point lead prior to
toenailed a three-pointer to provide JMU the 78-74 lead.
Michigan State cut the result in 78-76 with 3 secs left, and after a Bickerstaff totally free toss made it a three-point video game, the Spartans shed the sphere in the last 2nd, securing the win for the Dukes.
For the Spartans, Tyson Walker led the video game with 35 factors and 6 takes, while Coen Carr added 14 factors.
In general, the Dukes outrebounded the Spartans 51-48 and held MSU to simply 36% capturing, consisting of 1-of-20 from past the arc. JMU led for 28:33 of the 45-minute competition, consisting of most of the very first fifty percent with a lead as huge as 13. MSU led for simply 10:22 and never ever by greater than 6 factors.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- JMU left to a warm begin, constructing a double-digit lead much less than 10 mins in.
- Up 13-7, the Dukes rattled 7 straight, covered off by a three-way from Edwards Jr. to take a 20-7 lead with 10:43 to play in the fifty percent.
- JMU led 25-12 with 7 mins to enter the verse prior to Michigan State took place a run, racking up 11 of 13 to climb up within 27-23 with 4:06 to go.
- The Dukes obtained the lead back to 7, however the Spartans’ single trey of the video game and trading of pails made it a 37-33 JMU lead at the break.
The Spartans rose out of the storage locker area with a 9-4 go to declare their very first lead of the video game, at 42-41 with 15:16 staying.
- A 3 by Green III provided JMU the lead back up until a Sissoko dunk made even the video game at 44.
- The Dukes took a 48-44 benefit with under 13 mins to play prior to MSU reacted with 10 straight to take a 54-48 lead with 8:35 to go.
- Threes from Green III and Wooden paved the way for an 8-2 go to connect the video game at 56 each with 5:56 on the clock.
- After much back-and-forth, MSU led 68-64 with 1:26 to take place a fastbreak layup, however the Dukes addressed with a set of Freidel totally free tosses and a game-tying jumper from Bickerstaff with 30 secs entrusted to send it to overtime.
- MSU struck early in overtime, however Edwards Jr. racked up 5 straight on totally free tosses and a 3 reminder to provide the Dukes a 73-70 lead with 1:51 to go.
- The Spartans linked the video game with 1:18 to play, however Edwards Jr. came right back with a putback layup with 56 ticks to play.
- MSU sufficed to one on a Walker totally free toss, however the blade featured 10 secs left on Horton’s enormous trey from the extreme right, providing JMU a 78-74 lead.
- Michigan State had a fastbreak layup with 3 secs left, and after Bickerstaff went 1-of-2 from the line, Walker shed the sphere in the last 2nd to protect the win for JMU.
This was JMU’s 2nd rated win in program background, joining its 1992 success over # 19 Cal– a video game including JMU’s previous head train Lou Campanelli.
JMU came to be the first string to beat an AP preseason top-five team in a home period opener considering that Western Kentucky over Kentucky in 2001.
JMU is the very first unranked group to hand an AP preseason top-five group a loss in a period opener considering that Hawaii did so in 2005 versus Michigan State.(*) The win stood for Michigan State’s very first home loss in the month of November considering that 1986.(*)
(*) UP NEXT(*)
JMU avoids when traveling for the MAC-SBC Challenge when it heads to Kent, Ohio, to fight Kent State on Thursday, Nov. 9. Tipoff is established for 7 p.m., and the video game will certainly be streamed on ESPN+.(*)